After spending both one hour without the Internet and one hour researching with it, I came to a scary yet appropriate conclusion regarding the gathering of information: I'm unable to research anything effectively without the Net!
For starters, I asked people within the library to point me the right direction of where books regarding modern day political unrest in Zimbabwe might be; they weren't sure, but I was pointed in the general direction. Upon arriving at the second floor, I looked around; there were books on Darfur and political indepedence movements throughout Africa from the 19th and mid 20th centuries, but nothing that was up to date. Had I been using the Internet, I could have long ago learned the information that I was seeking, and there was no advantage whatsoever in seeking info. this way.
Upon logging on my computer half an hour later, I quickly found the necessary info. without the drawbacks I had been expecting. The only disadvantage I could think of potentially is if the power goes out and/or the Internet dies, but all things considered the possibility of me losing either is pretty unlikely.
Hence, I can conclude that the Internet offers the fewest drawbacks and the largest pool of potential information in regards to Zimbabwe, and I prefer it as a result of the two hours spent looking around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment